Monday, June 27, 2005

CNN Breaking News & CNN Breaking News 2, Electric Boogaloo

Breaking News #1: U.S. Supreme Court rules Ten Commandments displays are not allowed at courthouses.

Me: Hurrah! Separation of church and state does exist!


Breaking News #2: Following ruling barring Ten Commandments displays in courthouses, Supreme Court rules such displays are allowed at state capitols.

Me: The hell? Constitution what?

Here's the thing. I'm a big fan of the Ten Commandments. I don't mind seeing, reading or hearing the Ten Commandments. This is because I think they make sense, they're clear and concise, and they're a strong part of my belief system and born-religion. But what about those who do not share my belief system, born-religion, or even a religion based in Judeo-Christian beliefs or liturgy?

See, I'm also a big fan of religious freedom. And I thought the U.S.'s big claim to fame was religious freedom. And I thought that the Constitution spelled things out so that things made sense and were pretty clear and concise about the whole separation of church and state thing.

Religious freedom means more to me than just being able to safely practice your chosen religion without persecution. It means living in an environment where your beliefs are free from public displays of another religion being forced down your throat (even passively, i.e. a monument in front of a capitol building) in government or educational venues.

These two reports look like a compromise was made. I don't think religious freedom in any form should be compromised. I'm frustrated and trying to understand, as I am with so many things in this confusing world...

1 Comments:

At 2:25 PM , Blogger Flipsycab said...

Oddly enough, the words separation of chuch and state do not appear in our constitution. I was shocked to find this out. I guess we all assume that's one interpretation of the first amendment, for which there are high priced lawyers to defend. I agree: sepearate the church from the state. If The Shrub mentions G-d one more time in one of this talky thingies, I'll burst. It can't possibly be the same G-d that I know.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home