Monday, June 06, 2005

Strange Day

What an odd day. Yesterday I (and I'm really, really proud of this, so work with me here) planted a tiny vegetable and herb garden. And I did it all by myself, although Mr. ZigKvetch checked on me every few minutes, offering water and help. I planted a ton of tomatoes, bell peppers, hot peppers, cilantro, thyme, oregano and basil. It was quite an effort, but totally worth it, even if it only ends up being bunny food. And, no mosquito bites! I bought the an Off mosquito-be-gone-lantern and it worked like a charm. Who would've guessed that I had to go to an opera rehearsal to get re-eaten alive by the buzzing, blood-sucking little fuckers?

But that wasn't the weird day.

Even though rehearsal sucked and the 87-year-old conductor (you read me right) was even kookier than our last rehearsal. I came home frustrated and wired. I fell asleep around 2:30.

And so begins the weird day.

I awoke at 5:30, alert and ready to get up. For those of you who don't know me, this is an act of G-d. A miracle. Cue the singing glory of the angels. So of course, I tried to roll over and go back to sleep. No go. I got up and went downstairs and worked for awhile. Then, I went upstairs and crawled back into bed to read. I took a quick nap and I was up again and out of the house by 7:40.

Into work I go, with a spring in my step. I was in a good mood. On a Monday morning. On 3.5 hours of sleep. After a brutal rehearsal the night before. On the first day strictly back on my eating plan. On the first day of, well, a segment of the month when I'm not normally so chipper (reporting to you live from TMI Fest 2005).

And the first thing I did when I got in was clean my office. A co-worker checked on me several times to make sure I was ok. She was worried, as this was about as unlike me as it gets. Are you hearing the seraphim yet? They're yodeling.

And I stayed in a pretty good mood all day. With no caffeine in my system, just love in my heart, a clear mind (a clear mind, I say!) and plenty of energy. Seriously, what the hell is up with this? Did I mention the no caffeine thing? No. Caffeine.

At about 10 tonight I got home after teaching, brought in all the groceries and, although tired, was still in a good mood... until I listened to the answering machine and the crazed octogenarian conductor's infuriating message which filled my every pore with rage. But even then, I ate dinner, and Mr. ZigKvetch was especially understanding and kind, and here I am back in this... this... good mood.

Will wonders never cease? Hallelujah and amen. (yodel-ay-ee-hoo!)

3 Comments:

At 8:09 AM , Blogger Skeezix said...

I'm so glad that you had such a wonderful day. It must of been the new moon!

 
At 10:05 AM , Blogger ZigKvetch said...

You and Flipsycab were my vegetable gardening inspirations. Flipsy with her vegetables and you with your gardening!

I raise a tomato to you both! Cheers!

 
At 3:29 PM , Blogger Flipsycab said...

Have you ever read "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" by Christiane Northrup (I think that's her last name-can't remember and too lazy to look it up)? It's the size of a doorstop and it's choc full of info on our bodies. One of the things she mentions is that our periods/menstruation times are like the new moon...a time of renewal of the body and spirit. Many women report feeling lighter, happier, and more productive and creative during this time.

Vewy intewesting....

Rock on with your bad gardening self! Go veggies!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home