Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Kids These Days - A Rant.

So, for the second time in less than a week, I ended up in tears at school yesterday. I've had it. I am so burned out. I have never, ever had students like these before. All of a sudden, I have a group of kids, the majority of whom have no desire to put any work into anything, and are lazy, disrespectful, and rude.

Now, anyone who knows me knows I love teaching with all my heart and soul, and have never shed a tear over it, other than of joy. Until now. I've always prided myself on being myself and being a "cool" teacher. I mean, still a total dork, but a lovable one, who is always there to help, gives extra long lessons, has energy, tries to be creative and fun, and treats students like adults for the most part. I've done this for years, and have had successful, wonderful teaching relationships with my students, and highly successful, wonderful students. Last year I started noticing a change.

It started with two of my "stronger-personalitied" (hey! New word of the day!) students who were constantly obsessing over who got what solo and who was better than the other. I watched with horror as their increasingly negative attitudes started infecting other students. I watched them, as almost-leaders, setting an example of disdain for authority, uneccesary drama, and negativity for the younger kids. I did everything I could to both get these two and the younger students on the right track, as did my students who were in the leadership positions within the section. Things smoothed out. And then this year, they became the leaders and everything went straight to hell.

It's almost like a new generation of students has begun. This new generation seems to be about entitlement, doing the least amount of work possible, and in it only for themselves. And they have no reverence for authority whatsoever, no matter how dorky-cool the teacher. Eye-rolling is in abundance. Nasty whispering about other students, shouting arguments, and ridiculous competitive drama abounds. No one supports anyone else. I actually had a best friend "tattle" on the other this year when they cut a lesson. The hell?

Now, don't get me wrong. I do have a few good kids who seem to value others, get their work done, and avoid drama at all costs. They're frustrated as hell, too. So, I'm starting to look for the differences in these kids vs. the kids from hell, and here is what I've noticed:

  • Their parents take an active role and interest in their kids' lives.
  • Their parents hold them accountable for their actions and behavior. These parents don't raise "victims."
  • Their parents don't just give them everything they want. These kids often have to earn what they get either by saving their own money or via their actions.
  • Their parents establish and instill a clear values system with these kids; one that the kids take out into their lives.
  • Their parents treat them with respect and expect respect in return. (How circumspect!)
  • These kids are educated in what's going on in the world- they are able to see beyond themselves.
  • These kids have been taught to develop their own goals and have been given some guidance as to how to achieve them.
  • Many have not been completely sheltered from adversity at home, be it family health issues, money issues, etc.
  • These kids help out around the house and school- both the chores expected of them, and just to help out because they live there too.
  • These kids have learned how to take the initiative and how to voice their opinions in a clear, respectful manner.
  • These kids don't whine nearly as much! (Sweet G-d Almighty I HATE whining.)

I could go on, but in the interest of time and space, I'll stop here.

So, why am I writing this down you may ask? I guess it's because we're thinking, increasingly, about having a kid someday, and I want to make sure I keep these things in mind. And also, to vent, so that I don't end up in tears after tonight's final rehearsal before our concert on Thursday.

C'mon, everybody: "Don't cry for me, ZigKvetchtina... the truth is your mind has left you...."

1 Comments:

At 1:18 PM , Blogger Flipsycab said...

Sorry to hear that this is happening to you! It's a sad comment on the parents of some of your kids. But you've certainly hit the nail on the head in looking at their family lives as a source of their behavior and attitudes. I believe that all kids (and dogs and cats) are inherantly good. They (and we) all start out at the same place. But what we experience from our primary teachers, our parents and families, make all the difference in how we interact with the world around us.
I wish you much patience for the next week and on into the future. Break a leg at your concert. And, if they get too unruly, just break their legs.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home