Saturday, December 17, 2005

Oy, I Hate Moving

Yesterday I packed up my entire office. I can't even begin to describe the mountain of garbage I threw out and recycled. I weep for the trees felled in my relentless pursuit of mediocrity over the years. Jesus. Fuckload o' paper. Anyway, the guys came to pick up the orange crates with which we'd stuffed everything to go to the new offices. I, of course, was the last one still packing, and it was brutal. I bribed the guys with a bag of my beloved cherry cordial kisses, and a hat I had left over from recruiting. Thankfully, it worked.

I hadn't yet even visited the new building when I arrived this morning. When they were giving tours, I was so depressed about my job, I couldn't bring myself to go look at the shiny new building that I was positive I'd never be moving to. In a way, it was probably better that I hadn't seen it, because I was in love as soon as I stepped through the doors.

I have been hearing nothing but complaints for the last week. The walls are paper thin. They didn't set up the offices the way we'd requested. It's too cold. It's too hot. Thankfully, I had the common sense (who knew I had any?!) to keep an open mind. I love the building, soft peach and lavender walls and all. I love the new building smell. I love that I work in a behemoth of a building. And oh, do I love my office.

It's smaller than my old office, but the ceiling is a bit higher, and the top 1/3 is glass, so I actually have a little natural light coming through! When I step out of my office, I turn right and look out the floor-to-ceiling windows that make up the big office's back wall. The few of us who were in today actually got together for an impromptu meeting in front of those windows, and sat on the floor! I'm telling you, it's a whole new world. (Don't sing. Really.) The windows look out on a little landscaping and some woods beyond. It's so pretty. The site ops manager came by and I told him I was thinking about raising some chickens out back. He told me he thought the cafeteria might not approve. Damn.

My office has such a cozy feel to it. A girl could improve her attitude in a setting like this, I tell you! What? Stranger things have happened. Oh, hush.

So yeah, the walls are paper thin, they haven't installed one of my flip cabinets and a shelf, and I've been both hot and cold today. Whatever. It's a good change of scenery and I'm (are you sititng down?) happy.

2 Comments:

At 3:10 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

Lady, I'm glad things are looking up. Please let me know when you have the chicken coop set up.

 
At 5:21 PM , Blogger LE said...

sounds wonderful! I want at least some lavendar walls for my office. Currently they're greyish turquoise. One is. The other two are cafeteria cream colored.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home