Monday, January 23, 2006

I Should Have Stayed in Bed Today

I should’ve stayed in bed today.

I woke up late and it was snowing ridiculously this morning. So I figured that maybe I’d just work from home. But my computer wouldn’t work right, so I had to reboot, and by the time it came back up and told me that I had a 9:00 interview, I was frantic.

I rushed to get ready, brushed off the car, and started driving to work. Twice, I lost control of the car and drove into a snowbank, even though I was going at a snail's pace. But did I turn around and go home? Oh no. Onward I went, now 20 minutes late for my interview.

I figured I’d just park my car illegally near the side entrance, run in, do the interview, and run back out. I got in, and the kid had only just arrived himself, and my co-worker was just getting him through the application. So, I go in to my office, get my computer going, and after I learned that I wouldn’t have time to interview him after all, I went back outside to my car. My car that won’t start. At all.

I believe the maniacal laughing/crying started at that point.

So I traipse back in and call AAA. The idiot on the phone asks me what the problem is. I tell her that the car won’t start and that I’m not sure if it’s the battery or gas or what. She asks me what I want. I think about telling her that I want to go back to bed or world peace and a hamburger, but I digress. I tell her I want someone to come out and look at it and either bring me a little gas, jump my car or tow me to a garage. She very annoyed-ly tells me that I can only have 2 things done- either gas & jump, gas & tow, or jump & tow. Again, she asks me what I want. I tell her that I don’t know. She asks me what I think is wrong with the car. Really. She really asks me this. So I tell her that that’s actually why I’m calling her. She tells me again that she can only put 2 things down or else it will be too long and they’re all too busy. For this “service” I pay HOW MUCH per year? Anyway, I say gas and tow and figure I’ll sweet talk the guy when he gets here, if it needs a jump. It did need a jump and apparently needs a new battery, and I have no idea whether it’s actually going to start up when I go out there in a few minutes. If all else fails, I guess I could just sleep in my office and roll around in the snow in the morning to get clean.

I also screwed up on something for my boss, got yelled at by one of the people who reports to me and had a million and 3 meetings today.

Happy New Year!!!

(Ahh, the first kvetch of the new year. It brings a gentle tear to one's eye, doesn't it?)

Shout out to my homegirls Flipsycab and Suzanne! And also to darling Paul and Angel who keep bugging me to finally get my butt to see Brokeback Mountain (I want to see this SO badly!).

1 Comments:

At 9:49 AM , Blogger Skeezix said...

The happy bubbles are back. I'm so sorry I made them disappear.

And, I'm happy you are back to blogging. I've missed your posts.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home